Individual Artist Fellowships are awarded to practicing New Jersey artists through an anonymous, competitive application process to help them pursue their artistic goals.
Mid Atlantic Arts administers the application submission, review, and post-award process on behalf of the New Jersey State Council on the Arts through an ongoing partnership. This includes applicant notification, administration of the individual grants, and final reporting.
Grant support range: Past awards have ranged from $4,000 – $32,000
Eligibility and Schedule
*Please review the guidelines for other requirements and for discipline specific information
- Artists must be permanent residents of the State of New Jersey. The applicant must be a current, permanent New Jersey resident at the time of application (the date the application is submitted – typically in July) and at the time of award (which typically happens in March).
- Age 18 or older.
- The applicant must be the artist whose original work is represented in the work samples.
- Artists who received a Fellowship in any category in the past five years are not eligible to apply for the current year.
- Applicants may not be matriculated students in any graduate, undergraduate, or high school program at the time of application and award. Fellowships may not provide funding for scholarships or academic study in pursuit of a degree.
- Collaborating New Jersey artists are not eligible to submit a joint application for collaborative work. The applicant artist must have sole creative control over all work submitted to the Fellowships program under their name.
This is an annual program with a two-year rotation for discipline support.
We anticipate 2025 applications and guidelines will be available in late spring 2024 for the following categories:
- Music Composition
We anticipate the 2026 applications and guidelines will be available in late spring 2025 for the following categories:
- Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
Guidelines and Application
Applications are now CLOSED for the 2024 program year. The submission deadline was Thursday, July 13, 2023. The 2024 Fellowship Awards will be announced at the New Jersey State Council on the Arts’ Public Business Meeting in February 2024. Information about the meeting will be available on the Council’s website in January 2024: www.artscouncil.nj.gov.