Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation (MAAF) was established in 1979 to promote and support multi-state arts programming in a region that includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Virginia, and West Virginia. It is one of six regional arts organizations in the United States, and works in close partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts and its member state and jurisdictional arts agencies. MAAF distinguishes itself through its work in international cultural exchange, model programs in performing arts touring, its knowledge and presence in the jazz field, and its support of Folk and Traditional Arts.
Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation develops partnerships and programs that reinforce artists’ capacity to create and present work and advance access to and participation in the arts.
Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation envisions a vital arts and cultural sector enriched by the movement of a vibrant and diverse environment of artists and arts organizations engaging audiences across geographic, artistic and institutional boundaries regionally, nationally, and internationally.
Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation believes that art is essential, that it has the power to transform individuals and communities, and in so doing helps define our society. Excellence, integrity, service, inclusion, and engagement are fundamental tenets of its commitment to the arts.
- Foster expanded access to the arts by connecting artists, communities and resources, and by exploring new forms of creative expression and methods of presentation.
- Provide leadership in the development and delivery of model programs and partnerships to address access, creation, presentation, and the expansion of markets for artists and their work.
- Provide resources, knowledge and connections to enable artists and organizations to build audiences and relationships, and to explore new approaches that enhance their operational and creative practice.
- Represent excellence and best practices in management and governance.
- MAAF administered 420 grants.
- MAAF awarded $1.9 million in direct grant support.
- Grants resulted in over 710 performances and 504 separate outreach activities.
- MAAF programs reached approximately 272,000 individuals
- More than 2,035 artists participated in Foundation programming.